CYBER CRIME PREVENTION TIPS
- Never respond to an email requesting funds. Call your Escrow Officer at a number you already have to confirm the request.
- Be wary of any unsolicited email requesting personal information.
- Avoid filling out forms in email messages that ask for personal information.
- Always compare the link in the email to the webpage/URL that you are actually directed to.
- Log on to the official website, instead of “linking” to it from an unsolicited email.
- Contact the actual business that supposedly sent the email using a phone number you already have, to verify if the email is genuine.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, VISIT THE FBI WEBSITE:
Franchise Tax Board Withholding – Sellers
Sellers of a California real property interest are subject to the State Franchise Tax Board requirement which imposes a maximum withholding of .0333% (3 1/3) of the gross sale price of the real property.
Exemptions and Reductions in Withholding
Certain exceptions and reductions in withholding may apply, subject to the FTB requirements. Please contact your tax adviser and/or legal counsel for more information.
Internal Revenue Service
IRS FIRPTA Withholding – Foreign Sellers
Foreign Sellers of a U.S. real property interest are subject to the Foreign Investors Real Property Tax Act (FIRPTA), which imposes a maximum withholding of 15% of the gross sale price of the real property.
Exemptions and Reduction in Withholding
Certain exceptions and reductions in withholding may apply, subject to the IRS notification requirements. Please contact your Escrow Officer for more information.